June 24, 2010

Find Your Inner "Yogini"


Welcome Back!
So I've been thinking alot about how to go about this blog. I have so many things I would love to write about and share with everyone it's so hard to find a topic to jump into!!

So I'm just gonna share my feelings on yoga. I was first introduced to yoga as a kid by my mom. She had Dixie Carter's Yoga onVHS! Yoga was very new age back in the 80's. I do believe this is when my mom and I both fell in love with Miss Dixie. This also grew my love for Designing Women...but that's a whole other topic! I would join my mother in Dixie's yoga even as a kid. Little did I know, the practice I learned at the young age with my mother only began my love for yoga. I remember sitting in the living room of the house I grew up in, doing back bends feeling like it was no big thing! And at the end of the video, we joined Dixie by sitting cross-legged, hands on our knees, back straight, head back, mouth-opened, and tongue out, doing our "Ahhhhhhhhh's". This pose continued as long as we could exhale these Ahh's and we would take a breath and continue. This had to be the funniest sight for any by-stander to see. I believe my dad and brother looked at us as though we were possessed! Please be my guest, try this at home. It's enlightening! :)

After doing yoga as a kid, I lost touch with the practice until college. Here, I would attend classes, although few and far between. I never really felt a deep connection to it during this time. It wasn't until this past fall when I began gym jumping (you know, where you get those freebie days! By the way, best thing ever!). Well I began at the YMCA by our house and took a few classes, including a Hot Flow Yoga class. After walking away from the class I felt like whole other person! I was unbelievably relaxed, I was completely drenched in sweat, and felt like I'd had the best workout of my life.....This began my yoga love affair!

Yoga was first introduced more than 5,000 years ago and originated in India. It was first practiced by men...although you'd never know that now by entering into a class in 2010. So ladies get your men involved with you in yoga. Boys get out there and don't be afraid of a little downward facing dog, it won't bite! I'm no professional yogini, but I do have a passion for the practice and believe in the health benefits and want to share these!

I currently continue my yoga classes at a different gym that just recently came to town(ahem...totally cheaper than the Y by the way!). The yoga instructor is great. He challenges each and every student, makes us try new positions, and pushes us to fight our mental blocks and exceed physically. There are many different ways of practicing yoga. Now really it comes down to a personal preference and what you expect to get out of it. I prefer the type of yoga that challenges my body, in a flexibilty and strength standpoint. I like to walk out of the class feeling that the movements not only calmed my mind but also strengthened and leaned my muscles. If you are looking for stretching and meditation, there are many studios and instructors who focus on that type of practice. I advise you to research your local yoga studios and give them all a try before buckling down with one. You can also continue to go to different studios to get a overall feel for the practice and get a different experience from each class. Most places around Charlotte charge anywhere from $7 to $14 per class and you can find ones even cheaper if you become a member.

Also if you are a member of a regular gym already, find out when and if they have a yoga class. If they don't already, mention it to one of the gym manager's. They are always looking for classes that members will attend regularly. You may be surprised to find out you're not the only person looking to give it a try.

If yoga is completely new to you and are afraid of attending a class, because of not knowing how yoga works, buy a yoga DVD. You can learn the moves in the privacy of your own home. I own quite a few of these and they really are great to introduce you to yoga. Purchase a beginner level video and you will be taught the basics of the practice and how and when to breathe correctly. You can even get Gaiam DVD's at Target!! Rodney Yee is a great one to follow. These have great sequences and the backdrops are amazing!! And you can then WOW your class mates and instructors when you finally decide to join a class and break out your rocker-style poses! I do suggest eventually going to a class. You'll be amazed at how it brings your practice full circle by being in the calming and peaceful environment!

You may find yourself getting overheated and frustrated in the beginning if you aren't used to putting your body in such positions but trust me, it does get easier! The more you see yourself hitting the poses the more you want to build in your practice and that's a sign of you getting stronger! Not only are you becoming healthier physically but internally yoga is like wringing out your insides of toxins! Yoga has been said to lower blood pressure, relieve symptoms associates with asthma, back pain, and arthritis. Yoga is also thought to help depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder! For you mothers to be, yoga can be great practice for labor and there are specific classes especially for pre and post-natal!

Just in my own practice, I have noticed a huge difference from where I started to now! Not only am I about 15 lbs lighter....Yes you read right! 15lbs! But I also feel myself hit poses I haven't been able to do since high school!! I have always been a naturally flexible person, mostly from the gymnastics and cheerleading I did growing up, but starting yoga again I saw how much I had lost in this department!! Before I began my practice, I was trying to show up an 8 year old while she was showing me her new gymanstics moves. Well needless to say, I pulled a muscle in my back while trying to do a backbend! Yee-Oouuch!! Now I can regularly do this move with no problems. Don't get me wrong, I still struggle with the moves from time to time but I know now that my body can handle much more than it could just few months ago. I have also used my breathing techniques in strenuous exercises such as running and hiking to push myself to the limit. I am able to mentally bring myself down and push my body past the exersion level I was at!!!

When getting started I also recommend purchasing your own yoga mat! Most places have them available for you to use or may charge you a small fee. Really, you never know who used these before you and remember we do yoga barefoot. Just saying... you gotta just say no to feet fungus!!! And if you try out a Hot Yoga class, by george... if you are one who sweats or not, bring a towel!! You will soo need it! They keep the rooms VERY toasty...ideally around 105 degrees!

I hope I have encouraged everyone to at least try the yoga practice. You can get so much out of a class, both mentally and physically. Good Luck to you that try and hope you grow a love for it just as I have. If you have advice of the practice let me know and I hope you enjoyed!

Namaste....

SheLCheri

0 comments:

Post a Comment